Computed Tomography Checklist in 3 stages
This section has been extracted from the “ISRRT Response Document-appropriate and safe use of Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy with infection control measures considered in addition to standard radiation protection procedures. April 2020”. It is available on the ISRRT Website (https://www.isrrt.org/full-guideline-protective-measures). It is edited and compiled by A.Stewart Whitley, Director of Professional Practice - International Society of Radiographers and Radiological Technologists(ISRRT) following valuable input from many radiography expert contributors.
3. Post procedure
3.1. Radiographer/RT Tasks
- When entering the CT scanner room (dirty area), wear disposable gloves.
- Carefully remove the used paper cover from the CT couch without touching your clothing and dispose of it in the corresponding bin according to hospital policy.
- Ensure decontamination-disinfection of CT couch-gantry keypad, CM injector control panel and surfaces / contact points (sponges, fixing pads, knobs) by the use of a suitable disinfectant in accordance to Infection Prevention Committee and CT manufacturer’s instructions.
- After disinfection/decontamination/deep cleaning, the RG/RT must visually inspect the scanning area, CT scanner and auxiliary equipment with gloves and mask.
- Carefully remove your gloves FIRST, keep mask on!
- Dispose of them in the Clinical Waste bin (yellow hazardous contaminated waste) in accordance with the regulation of your HWMC
- Disinfect hands immediately as there is danger of being contaminated without gloves!
- Remove mask carefully so that the cords or bands of the mask do not touch the face or mucous membranes of the face (and eyes) and dispose of it in the Clinical Waste bin (hazardous contaminated waste) in accordance with the HWMC.
- Disinfect - Wash hands well (again because you touched your mask)!