Computed Tomography Checklist in 3 stages
This section has been extracted from the “ISRRT Response Document-appropriate and safe use of Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy with infection control measures considered in addition to standard radiation protection procedures. April 2020”. It is available on the ISRRT Website (https://www.isrrt.org/full-guideline-protective-measures). It is edited and compiled by A.Stewart Whitley, Director of Professional Practice - International Society of Radiographers and Radiological Technologists(ISRRT) following valuable input from many radiography expert contributors.
2.1. Radiographer/RT Tasks
- Ensure that the wheelchair or stretcher is removed from the examination room
- Cover the CT couch with disposable paper
- Remove any metallic objects in the region of interest from the patient with particular care (especially artificial dentures, nose rings, where there is risk of being infected).
- Remove gloves and dispose of them in the Clinical Waste bin (hazardous-contaminated waste) in accordance with the regulation of your Hospital Waste Management Committee. (HWMC)
- Remember, when exiting the CT scanner room (contaminated area) clothing may be contaminated.
- Don't remove your mask!
- Disinfect hands with a hand sanitizer before you enter the CT console area (clean area) i.e. before touching the keyboard and mouse, the control console, and the injector.
- Perform examination (i.e. scanning and IV CM injection) in consideration of the diagnostic requirements and the principles of justification, optimization, radiation dose limitation as well as the Radiographer’s/Radiological Technologist’s Ethical Code and RG/RT Professional Rights at all times.