Dressing and undressing procedures for healthcare personnel
|Course:||International Covid-19 support for Radiographers and Radiological Technologists|
|Book:||Dressing and undressing procedures for healthcare personnel|
|Printed by:||Guest user|
|Date:||Friday, 23 April 2021, 4:03 AM|
Table of contents
1. Dressing and undressing procedures for healthcare personnel
Compared to preventive measures for the community, additional precautions are required for healthcare workers. Such measures are pivotal for personal protection, and to prevent transmission in the healthcare setting. Thus, when caring for patients with COVID-19 using personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriately is of utmost importance.
According to indications from the World Health Organization, in view of the global PPE shortage, the strategies to optimize the availability of personal protective equipment (PPE) are the following:
According to the type of activity and local indications, recommended radiographers PPE during the outbreak of COVID-19 outbreak could differ.
Below the two WHO recommended dressing pamphlets:
- How to put on PPE, including gown (Figure 1);
- How to put on PPE, including coverall (Figure 2).
2. FIGURE 1. How to put on PPE, including gown
3. FIGURE 2. How to put on PPE, including coverall
4. The undressing procedure
The undressing procedure should be performed in a dedicated room with a container for hospital waste, a container for PPE to be decontaminated, a chair, a table with a bottle of alcoholic solution for cleaning hands, and surgical masks.
The room should have a contaminated and a clean area, which may simply be divided with a coloured adhesive tape.
It is important to avoid any contact with PPE potentially contaminating face, mucous membranes or skin.
- The undressing sequence must be performed in front of a mirror or under the supervision of another operator who will keep the safety distance of more than 1 m (3 ft);
- All disposable PPE must be disposed in the hospital waste container.
The following WHO indications on how to correctly remove PPE are also included:
- How to remove PPE, including gown (Figure 3);
- How to remove PPE, including coverall (Figure 4).
5. FIGURE 3. • How to remove PPE, including gown
6. FIGURE 4.• How to remove PPE, including coverall
3. Rational use of personal protective equipment for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) WHO 27 feb2020 (accessed 18 April 2020)
prevention and control of epidemic-and pandemic-prone acute respiratory
infectionsin health care WHO Guidelines (accessed 18 April 2020) ISBN
978 92 4 150713
7. ISS: Indicazioni ad interim per un utilizzo razionale delle protezioni per infezione da SARS-COV-2 nelle attività sanitarie e sociosanitarie (assistenza a soggetti affetti da COVID-19) nell’attuale scenario emergenziale SARS-COV-2
8. Zanardo M, Martini C, Monti CB, et al. Management of patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19, in the radiology department. Radiography 2020 [Accepted and in press]
email@example.com | website: www.associazionefaster.org